Saturday, August 1, 2020

Turning 85 and other adventures

My Mom turns 85 tomorrow (August 2) and we are so far away. I call my beautiful mama this morning. It's evening at her house. Her girlfriends will take her out for lunch. And all of us will call her on "the day." She's queen of a small tribe - we've added a child, height, and girth since this picture some years ago.
Oh great. Blogger has added 3 steps to every action in its most recent update. 

"Click here." Not done yet? (That's all the effort adding a photo took before.)

"Click again." Ok.

"Another option." What? Plus long delays while the text and photos are uploaded. Each pic has to be edited. Then,

"Save." Ugh. I sometimes get impatient with such "improvements."

I get a chance to talk to our hoppity-jumpity grands and enjoy their imagination.

As I walk, I see a couple that looks just like my parents in the distance. Strange feeling. It's not them, of course.
It's a week of speaking, writing, and editing. Our friend's book is almost done. It's a treasure, a new POV with encouragement about spiritual formation. Can't wait, Gail!

On my end, I finish editing my own second book. W is charged with publishing it online. Whenever - my deadline was August 2018. I get totally lost in detailed directions for tech. Anything beyond, now this, then that ... any assumption about what one should know - and I zone out. I click out of the program and wait for W to figure it out. I'm only 2 years behind my goal, so far. Sigh.

We sent a community survey last week via SurveyMonkey. That worked great. I understand how to run that and write enews on MailChimp. I wrote a newsletter for the BIC Community. (Click here if you ever want to join BIC online; schedule below.) And I finished another newsletter for our non-profit work.
It's cold at night (60oF/16oC). That's what hot water bottles are for. I heat one almost to scalding and put it on my stomach when I go to sleep, just like my Auntie Molly used to do. Warms the whole body.

We wear sweaters and light coats, even in the house. We have no air-conditioner or heater in the building because of the stable temps.

It's pleasant during the dah if the sun stays out (80oF/26oC; but cooler in the house). The streets are full of tourists on the weekends and evenings.

Someone asks our WAGroup about deodorant; they've run out of their American preferred brand. 
"I need more of something. But what?" The best anti-perspirant is actually a German baby cream, which can be found on Amazon. Penaten cream is mostly zinc ointment, not salt and aluminum which can be unhealthy. Try it? (Use a bit, a few times a week.) It's amazingly effective, even in the tropical heat.
BEFORE AND AFTER: 
Here's another room for those who like those. In the principal bedroom, we love the calm space to watch TV or write, away from everything.
It take very little, as long as IKEA has rugs on 70% clearance. Ha. The empty space (above) became a bedroom (below). 
The Lack shelves are an inexpensive nightstand. In the coffered ceiling above our heads, little lizards roam around. They occasionally push their "unmentionable goop" on the bed. I brush it off when possible. If it's too awful, I strip the sheets off the bed and have a do-over.
We mounted an Indian wallhanging above the TV. It was sold to us in the Arab quarter of Jerusalem as a "genuine Palestinian handcraft. You see, it's lovely. The colors. The beautiful patterns. The women of Palestine make these." Sure. I liked the colors and the funny fervent sales pitch with a 'wink wink.'

Remembering the transaction makes me smile. Of course you could see it was from India when we bought it. I still like it, though I would have preferred to support Israel's local women.

Thursday
The past months have been a cooking adventure. I make most meals, careful to limit the family's exposure to COVID. 

I cook both familiar chemistry experiments (old recipes) or tastes explained online or by ingredient. I'm always willing to explore. Most often, I stand in the kitchen and ask myself, "What am I hungry for today?" Carbs are my stress medication. Muffins, crepes, pancakes, pasta, spaetzle, salad, tofu, etc. 

If I inhale deeply, I can imagine the spices blending together. Today, I pull all the spice bottles out of the kitchen cabinet. Sniff each one. The 3-4-year-olds are faint. The helper takes them home and washes the jars. The freshest ones are returned to the shelf.

The workers at the hall are building metal doors. First they hand-saw and hammer a 2X4 frame. Then they hammer a tin sheet over and add handles.


Friday
I scribble a journal spread during a long session online.
The sun's out in the morning, so I drag the quilt outside and sew for a few hours. At this rate, it will be done in a few weeks. HURRAH! - it's always fun to wrap up a longterm project.

Saturday
I walk the dogs. Twice. Our usual dog walker has gone to be with his family many towns and 5 hours away. 

Yesterday was Eid, the Muslim commemoration of Abraham's obedience. The Bible says Abraham was willing give up even his son Isaac. The Koran doesn't identify the boy so most Muslims assume it is Ishmael. There are fewer goats tied to the street corners. Our helpers laments that this year poverty and limited jobs means less food and feasting. No one can afford meat.

It's usually a wonderful family time. Yet people are truly suffering want. We are assembling food packets to help those starving. If you want to help ease the hunger around us, let us know and we'll channel your donations to the neighborhoods.

W's working with the worship team at the hall. It's the first time filming live since March. There are no masks or social distancing. "Did you say something?" I ask him. Nope. I'll have to specify that - no way we want to be the center of an outbreak. Sigh.

I wait and wait for everyone to arrive but have to leave before everyone gets there. The dogs run around happily. They come when called - we walk back home. Missing those dear faces.

Saturday lunch is a failure. My nose is conflicted between 2 tastes so the resulting soup tastes indifferent. Soy sauce, chicken broth, wontons, sesame oil (so far so good), onion, kale, mushrooms, green peppers. Sounds like it would be good, but um. No.

I'm kinda hungry for a 5 Guys Burger. W's making pizza tonight. That should do. Chop chop. The olives, mushrooms, and green peppers are ready.

What are you eating today?

Read more:
*My heart, O God, is steadfast; I will sing and make music with all my soul. Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn. I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth. Psalm 108:1-5 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment