Friday, December 11, 2020

Cookie week and the challenge of reinvention

"Imagine yourself in 3 years." That's Benjamin Hardy's challenge. His book (Personality isn't Permanent) picks up on ways we stay stuck, defined by who we were in the past. I've been reading a few books a month on leadership and organizations. His is the current one.

Most people cannot imagine what they might accomplish within 3 years. Hardy asks readers to "go back and check - who were you 3 years ago?" and then you're to think about how you might design your life 3 years from now. I'd have to read my blog. I have no idea what's happened in the last 3 years, beyond a few highlights.

[My family has a "forgetful" streak in each generation: some of us capture only a few memories. That would be my dad and me. I blog to remember. Yup, I had to cram for tests in university because, by the next day, I couldn't remember much of what I knew the day before.]

"You can change your future!" says Hardy. hmmm That's a very American way of thinking. This morning I read an article on American culture written for people looking for work in the USA. Though Canadian by birth, we slowly slid into many values of our adopted home, judging from that list.

When you live elsewhere, the challenge is not to force others to think the way you do. I write a "New Normal" post every week to remind us that normal here is normal here. (It doesn't have to feel normal to us.) Here are a few "new normal"s. If you want the post of a pic and paragraph each week, let me know.

Kids learn to ride motorcycles early. Very early. If this boy is 10 or 11, I'd be surprised. His passenger is between 7 and 9 years old.

Men run the fabric store. And they're quick. "What do you want?" Here it is. Unrolled. Measured. Cut. "Next!"
Service workers - only men - climb a handmade bamboo ladders to string cable wires. Metal ladders are also used, even  in rainstorms (gulp, lightning), even when you're working on the electrical wires.
For a person with keen curiosity, life is a continuous adventure. There's so much to learn. 

Tuesday-Wednesday

Feels strange - for the first time in years (other than scheduled breaks), we don't have a team meeting on Tuesday. We meet Wednesday afternoon to accommodate new team members who are teachers. Seeing the team is the highlight of the week for me, though everyone has been subdued, sick, or in transition the last few months.

"Can I help?" Lena pops into the office while she waits for a shop to open. She quickly makes up bags with paper doilies. That's a big help the next day.

Thursday
From mid-afternoon, Alice and I pack up about 1200 cookies, baked by our helpers Tuesday and today. Since we can't meet our friends over tea and cookies, we send the goodies to them. Pak Gum delivers 120 bags nearby. Alice arranges transport for another 20 or so around the city.
When we're done, there are a dozen empty Tupperwares and cookie tins. And like the loaves and the fishes, when we thought we wouldn't have enough, we prayed. Somehow, there are 4 full boxes of cookies left over. We take them home and put them back in our fridge.
The last of the bagged, still-warm cookies go into the office fridge. Alice will ensure that they go out the door in the next few days.
Friends Terry and Sandy send a video from Canada. Our driver was first their driver, and so W asks him to check the Indonesian and Sundanese subtitles. He enjoys seeing them again, even in a video. Tech is awesome at connecting people around the globe.

We have to run errands so we miss our walk. I am finishing a talk for the last week of December. I'm also mulling over the 2021 theme for the International Church. I thought that was clear 2 months ago but and now I'm working on the final direction and how to make the "why" of faith clearer. (Yes, I also read Start with Why by S. Sinek during my reading streak.)

In a religious organization, the what and how are generally understood. We meet as a community to worship and hear from God together, whether in person or online.

But sometimes I think we forget the why. In my faith tradition, God invites us to meet with him. Those who follow Jesus expect a relationship with our Heavenly Father, who loves us and wants us to adore him in return. The scriptures constantly stress relationship over religious acts. But how to communicate that to attendees? I find myself praying all day long, asking for divine insight and wisdom.

Friday

We record the final talk of the year. Doing BICOnline has some advantages. Otherwise, it's a day of cleanup and crafting. While I'm mulling the next steps for the coming year, I pull out a yard of Japanese cotton, a beautiful floral with burgundies, oranges, reds, and blues.

What do I have on my shelf that might make a small blanket or hanging? I find scraps of batik from the neighbor's tailoring, blouses that I've altered, and cushion covers, along with a new pieces that I cut into strips. Ah, and how about this piece of plain burgundy linen? Maybe plain triangles between strips?

By the end of the day, I'm deciding what to use for the border: if the triangles are sails, I have a blue and white batik that looks like waves. It's a fusion quilt: the lakes/oceans of Washington state and its Japanese gardens and plants, made with fabrics from here.

Next time I do this, should the sails go the other way?

Saturday

When the sun comes up before 6, you might as well get up.  Lots of people are walking the neighborhood by 6:30. We walked every day this week. Tomorrow I may take a break since I believe in rest between hard work.

The neighborhood loop is 1 mile. Cutting off a long block, the loop is about 1 km. I do 2 long/1 short loops most mornings. W does 2 rounds before taking the dogs home for breakfast. That's when I pick up the pace and sprint in my walking shoes.

Do you find yourself needing routines when you work from home? I do, and find that the more structured I am, the more my day is productive and settled. We're awake by 4 or 5 most mornings. Prayers, scriptures, lift weights, pat on sunscreen and eyebrows, drink lots of water or the cold tea from last night, write a note to the helpers, grab my office tote ... and out the door about 6:00. W carries my bag and drops it at the office. I get to my desk, turn on a fan to cool myself off, and schedule a few Focusmate sessions for work.

It's great to have a call with friends in the USA. After we disconnect, they're off to supper and bed while my day picks up momentum. It feels like Christmas, seeing their preparations. 

Read more:
*He is the living God, enduring forever. His kingdom shall never be destroyed. Daniel 6:26

*Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

Moravian Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, because of you, we see God; because of you, we hear God; because of you, we love God. In you, we are joined with God and receive peace within. May we dwell in that peace forever. Amen.


1 comment:

  1. It's fun reading about your new "normal!" The book sounds interesting and so true. Loved your cookie gifts. What a marvelous work you are involved in in your area of the world.
    Have a wonderful Christmas celebration with those you love. I am hoping all of our family can be together as well.
    Much love, Gail

    ReplyDelete