Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Hopeful celebrations, cherished memories

In the 2 weeks between last post and this, we have buried my dad and celebrated Christmas. The combination of his hope - that he is seeing what he believed, in the presence of Jesus - and the joy of Christmas has made this a wonderful season of prayer and thanksgiving. It's a strange thing, this craving to go Home to be with God.

It was a snowy day when we celebrated Dad's life. The sun shone, the mountains were a stunning backdrop as he was laid to rest. 
The family gathered at the graveside to hug Mom and offer our love and support.
Then we met in a gathering restricted to 10 people but filmed and shared online. We "Zoom"-ed the traditional family viewing of the body, the burial, and had a virtual reception on Zoom after. It was a treasured time when family and friends offered their condolences to Mom and spoke of my father's integrity as well as his encouragement, good counsel, and generosity.
The  flowers in the memorial spray were beautiful - orchids, pines, lupines, hydrangeas, pinecones, thistles, and more. As they began to fade, we recombined them into four bouquets.

Best of all, it's lovely to be with my mother. W and I had to apply for special permission from the Canadian government to be allowed to stay with her and to attend the funeral and graveside. Because of her age, I am permitted to accompany her on her outdoor walks. (For that, I needed a letter from her doctor.)

We celebrated a quiet Christmas and lit the central Advent candle together. The four "hope, joy, peace, and faith" red candles were lit earlier. We had only the Christ-candle in the center to finish. We've had them lit most days - and they are almost burned to the green base.
After a few days of snow, it was possible to go out to walk along the river.
Mom received many cards, calls, and flowers of condolence and tributes to Dad. She cherished each one.

Two of my three brothers are in lockdown in Europe and could not return to Canada. The other brother is taking care of the end-of-life paperwork and Mom's affairs. So I am just visiting and helping her sort through the house. It's an adventure through good memories.

W remains indoors on quarantine for the rest of this week. After the weekend, he'll be able to see his mom in the next city. Strange times. We had already purchased tickets to come see her. Before our arrival, my father died. God worked out the details for us to be here now.

Walking in 2oC calm weather is fine - but 5oC with a wind is too cold. We pull on sweaters, scarves, gloves, heavy socks, and coats.

Someone hung ornaments on one of the little trees in the riverside park.

I've been wearing the hats my father left behind to keep my head warm. I will take my favorite with me.
We talk to the grandkids who are nearby but unable to visit. We'll see them soon.

Dad became a luthier (string and violin craftsman) after retirement. This year, he began clearing out his workshop, donating and selling tools, supplies, and instruments. There is almost nothing left. It's like he was saying goodbye to things here and transitioning to heaven.

Quite amazing. I want to be as ready as he when my time comes.

Read more: 

*For you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings. Malachi 4:2

*He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God. John 1:11-12

*[Jesus said,} “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:1-3 NIV

*In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:26-28 NIV

Moravian Prayer: Christ divine, how blessed we are that, through you, we are adopted into God’s family and are called “Beloved.” Of this we are certain: God loves us today and always, thanks to you, O Savior. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment