Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Creatures, creations, and creatives

 Saturday, January 28, 2023

I start gluing down hundreds of paint chips. Even rubber cement doesn't want to hold them to the acrylic background on the canvas. The tolerance is slim in this grid and the chips keep sliding. I persist because I'm curious to see what it will become.

Stage two will be to hold the paint tiles down. The corners lift and the tiles turn each time I take off the weights holding them in place. I'll have to smear the whole thing with acrylic medium, Mod Podge, or white glue.

For now, I try to find out where each one goes. They lifted and the grid shifted each week when the room was cleaned. (The canvas must have been bumped when the table was dusted.) It's taken 3 weeks to get this far.
Time to finish up. Gradually the piles of tiles find their spot on the grid. By mid-week, stage one is done. There are 13 grey and brown paint chips left over. 
I may turn it sideways as an urban landscape. When you squint your eyes, do you see what I see? 
Outside, it's raining hard, keeping the garden freshly washed. Do fish spill over the sides during the downpours? That would be natural population control in the 4'- (1.3m)-wide pot.
I splash and scrape white acrylic across two painted backgrounds. W and I read through the talk for tomorrow together. It's a random but useful day.
Sunday
The last Sunday of the month is Round Table at IES Bandung. W and I give the background to two questions from scripture. Each table discusses the questions and shares their observations with the whole group. 
We believe God speaks to his people through the Holy Spirit. It's amazing how much we learn from others.
Monday and Tuesday
I spend early mornings in language school and come home to meetings galore. We enjoy an in-person team meeting one afternoon on the Porch. Only one person is online today and she sends popped rice treats for us all to enjoy. YUM.
Meanwhile, PakA transforms the grubby and worn porch railing with paint.
It looks crisp and modern.
Tropical sun and storms take a fierce toll on things. Our choice was to scrape down and paint the whole thing white again ...
Or put a black frame between the Porch and the green green garden.
Wednesday
The server at #NaraPark asks if he can take our photo. Why not? (- though I dislike being in pictures.) We enjoy a breakfast of tea, spicy noodles, and rice porridge.

Beautiful creatures are everywhere we look. This butterfly made an unexpected landing on the street. Our garden is full of butterflies this week. (W's photo)
We take down the Christmas and New Year decor at the Green Gate hall. PakG schlepps it home in the car later in the day.
As we walk home, we admire the local materials, piled high for construction. There's bamboo for scaffolding, stone for foundations and walls, and gravel and dirt for cement.
The neighbor's hedge is a constant flame, 10' tall.
We're getting the hang of making bread in the bread maker. Neither W nor I are hungry at midday. We grab a slice of warm bread and call it lunch. W's stomach is still queasy so he's taking it easy.

I settle in to write for Sunday and catch up online. I don't know when my office has had a better view or more pleasant climate control. The breezy 75oF (24oC) feels practically perfect.
After a few meetings, a pleasant hour passes online with an accomplished niece in Germany. Her creativity and broad interests remind me of Dad's oft-repeated encouragement: "Don't let anyone put you in a box." He constantly challenged me to be my best self, without conforming to boundaries imposed by others if they don't suit my calling.

I pass that on to her. I miss my Pop today.

Read more:

*Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. Psalm 90:1-3

*Your eyes beheld my unformed substance. In your book were written all the days that were formed for me. Psalm 139:16

*Do not worry about your life. Matthew 6:25

Moravian Prayer: Savior, we lay our burdens down. Lord, we trust in your providence. Clear our minds and calm our hearts as we stand on your promises for now and for eternity. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment