Saturday, February 25, 2023

Travel bug

Sunday, February 19, 2023

I toss some flowers from the garden into bottles for an arrangement before we leave for IES.

W and I speak at IES Bandung on baptism for followers of Jesus. Check it out? We really enjoy the facility we rent: it allows for conversation and small groups after we meet in the hall. It makes me chuckle to snap a picture of Three Wise Men, chatting on one of the benches afterwards.

Lunch with David, Georgina, and little Noah is wonderful. We also celebrate with Josh, Clau, Kat, and Leo on the 10th anniversary of becoming a family. It's noisy: there's a wedding in the courtyard below us.

I sidestep a dead rat as I walk home. Behind me, two cars are passing on the narrow street and ... the rat is flat.

The Hangout is going full steam (25 people) when we arrive home.

The whole Porch is used for lunch, games, and friendships.

I'm always tempted to scramble the shoes but decide to be good for one more week.

We are weary but tomorrow's a new day - and a new trip. Our bedroom is a mess as we transfer gifts into luggage. It takes a few hours to write some of the Lenten posts that begin to go out to the IES community on Tuesday. I have 15 more to go unless some of the team jumps in. They've contributed a bunch of reflections already. It's good to have wise teammates.

Monday

We're off again. This time we overnight in Jakarta before we fly to Seattle via Tokyo. It's as good as it gets. The first leg to Tokyo is empty enough that we each have 3 seats to stretch out and sleep. The second leg, I have a full row until I get bumped out of it by some guy who's not feeling well. We're tired when we land in Seattle!

Tuesday

Luggage takes a long time to get to the carousel. With Global Entry, immigration and customs are quick and painless. Timothy picks us up curbside. Neither W nor I are feeling well - the flu descends on us as we head out.

We're at the house shortly after noon (midnight Jakarta time). I show K some basics on arranging flowers and she does a great job with lilies and mums.

Wednesday
I don't sleep much. Lent starts today and my core question is, "What do the spiritual fasts of Lent make room for?" I need to listen to God's voice and that's my goal for the season before Easter.

W and I venture out to 5 stores in a quick marathon. We get chocolate, supplies, and check Nordstrom Rack (no shoes this time.) I throw the purchases into a suitcase: 3 kg over already. W hauls gear. In my suitcase are supplies for movie night, cooking, and hospitality. The baking chocolate will have to go into a second suitcase. I hope I have room for books! Enough space isn't the issue. Weight is.

There's a pile of flowers beside the driveway, ready for composting. I reach over the edge with a hoe to snag tulips, roses, lilies - and add them to the purple stock purchased from Trader Joes. I'll see this hanging arrangement each time I come into the kitchen. A friend tells me a Dutch tulip trick: pierce through the stem 1" below the flower to keep the tulip from dropping. I'll try that next time. Today, the tulips head straight downward.
This vase was in the discard pile. Might as well pop some tulips into it. I'm happy with it all week.
The sideboard (secondhand cabinets with glass shelves between) is a pretty still life beside the dining table. The Zogirushi teapot is going strong - we fill it several times a day for tea and my hot water bottle. I'm so cold!
2 more bunches of tulips land in a plain vase. We have acquired several wooden elephants since the first ebony one arrived, a 1977 wedding gift from African friends.
The 2' high bouquet looks pretty atop Grandma's mid-century modern dresser. The zebra skin on the ottoman is 45 years old. My dad did accounting for friends who worked in Africa; they brought all kinds of things to the West "back in the day."
As W heads out the door for supper with a friend, I heat up some TJ coconut shrimp and some artichoke hearts. Yum - this is food we never get abroad.
Thursday
I've been looking forward to meeting with a friend for weeks. Neither W nor I sleep well; we're up for 4 hours in the night. I spend a few hours sketching out Easter services in Bandung. By morning, our colds have worsened. I can't pass this along. My friend and I will reschedule.

Before breakfast, my spiritual director Alaine Buchanan leads me through an hour of reflection online. As I catch up with my words, she points out the work God is doing. She offers 5 ways of making space for God to speak: lectio divina, ways of praying, and ways of observing. As always, I come away refreshed. She's smart, focused, and encouraging. (Contact me if you need a spiritual director: she's the best I've encountered.)

W and I have broth and won tons for breakfast - our throats are raw from coughing and the hot liquid is soothing. Since the foods we know best are available, I like to cook when we're in the flat. 

By mid-morning, I've had several tall mugs of tea. The air is dry; I keep slathering my face with lotion. The pleasure of the place and the proximity to grandkids is a blessing. And it's COLD out here. I don't make the bed today, tipping the IKEA Beddinge up to a sofa shape with our bedding still on it. Though the heaters are going, I keep refilling my hot water bottle and snuggle up in blankets.

Friday
Up for 6 hours at night, I fall asleep until 11:00 a.m. Jetlag. We head out for a short shopping trip after lunch. After 2 shopping trips this week, most of the things on my "bring back" list are checked off and packed for return home. It's strange to see the tastes we remember available everywhere. Frozen entrees and vegetables, familiar brands, canned goods ... 

Our son and d-i-love have a short date night while we hang out with the grandkids. Supper is waffles and Mandarin chicken. W and I debate taking them out but we're not up to it. There are a few things in the freezer from our first shopping excursion. W says, isn't "waffles and chicken" a Southern dish? So that's what I make.

We have a few hundred wrap ties from an empty box of Costco trash bags (20 years old?) The challenge to the children is "Make something." It takes them a while to take apart the wires and get going. I show them a few twists and off they go.
One makes a unicorn and a crib for hay. Another child makes a fortress for his wrap-tie rat, complete with corner turrets (one wrap-tie standing up) and a gangplank. One makes a boat and anchor and the other makes a flower garden.
We have tea as per our tradition, using the antique teacups and saucers handed down by my auntie and uncle. (She's gone but he's 92 now!) Kinsey sets the table with china plates. I scrounge for food: cookies from the airplane lounge in Japan, cranberries and chocolate chips from the pantry, and cut apples.
We pray together before K reads us a story from an old children's book on Indonesia.
My dad was a luthier. Last year, as we cleared his workshop, I found a small guitar. Perfect for Isaac's 8th birthday, which we'll miss. He wants to learn to play.
I clear the wrap ties off the Coach table so Opa can teach the kids a new game: "Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza." Soon they're shouting, laughing, and slapping their hands down.
The kids head upstairs to sleep. In the quiet, our flat returns to an adult apartment. I am grateful for this cozy space as we fold out a sofa to make up the bed.
Saturday
After another rough night, we're on the mend. We planned to drive to Canada to see our moms today but I'm a day behind W in recovery. The forecasters predict snow tonight so I encourage W to head up to see his mom anyway. If he stays overnight, they should clear the snow from the highway before he heads back. (Wouldn't it be a shame for him to be this close and not see her?)

Off he goes. He's well enough. I'm not. I chat with a friend before my cough takes over. Then I write in my comfy corner, thanking God for all our blessings.
I've forgotten how many layers it takes to stay warm here. I add an undershirt, heavy sweater, socks, and felt slippers ... for inside. Going out, I need 2 coats (a down-filled layer under a long coat). The heaters are going continually but my hands and feet are icey until I have a hot shower. The hot water bottle gets refilled from the kettle every few hours, too. Brrr.

Read more:
*Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let Israel say: “His love endures forever.” Let the house of Aaron say: “His love endures forever.” Let those who fear the Lord say: “His love endures forever.”

When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord; he brought me into a spacious place. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I look in triumph on my enemies. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans. Psalm 118

No comments:

Post a Comment