Friday, March 10, 2023

Don't you love coming home?

Tuesday, , March 5, 2023

We get one last fun event in a day of packing: watching the littles do sports. 
W washes the car and returns it to CP while I clean the flat, do laundry, and put things away "until next time." These maple leaves, tossed into the woods today, have kept their color for years. But they're fragile and I have no room to take them along.

Wednesday

We're off. After a leisurely breakfast, Timothy and the grandkids take us to SeaTac Airport. Melissa is gleaning and running errands. We get warm hugs all around before we lug our suitcases inside the terminal.

Thankfully, no one blinks at the weight (W weighs them perfectly). We wait in the lounge for a few hours. Our flight is delayed, taking off just after noon. We arrive in Tokyo on time. Another lounge during a short layover where I write Sunday's talk. One more flight to Jakarta ... and somewhere in there, it's 

Thursday.

We're in the air most of the day - skipping a calendar day to arrive in Jakarta in the middle of the night.

Friday

W stands in line for 1.5 hours to register a new phone, while I drag the luggage to our hotel room - what comfy beds. It's pure luxury to lie flat after curling up, twisting into a pretzel, or slouching in airplane seats for 17 hours.

The airport Anara hotel has good bubur ayam (rice porridge) for breakfast, soothing to the stomach. We go through the Sunday talk together before 11:00 a.m. when the driver finds us on the curb of the airport. He's been delayed over an hour by an accident on the toll road - a 40 km (25 mile) stop-and-go traffic jam.

We make it home before 2:30 p.m. weaving in and out of traffic. Watching sellers walking between cars in traffic jams on the Bandung highway takes getting used to each time we get close to the city.

Our cold-weather clothes stay in Seattle. We bring the clothes on our backs plus PJs in our carry-ons. Our suitcases are stuffed with useful things: silicone storage bags, a big colander for cooking movie-night-spaghetti, Christmas ornament hooks, spice mixes, and media gear. For the next hour, we put things away. The chocolate bars go in the fridge, books land in the office, and kid supplies are put in a bag to take to IES.

It's weird to unpack. We've ordered a few things in advance and shopped for a short list in Seattle. What arrives sometimes feels different from when we packed something from a friend or we hit "buy online." Some items can't be purchased in Indonesia. A few comfort foods make it into the suitcase. And of course, we bring along real cheese and TJ dark chocolate peanut butter cups.

We fall asleep about 6 p.m. (3 a.m. the same day in Seattle) and rest deeply.

Saturday

I've had 8 hours of sleep when I wake after 2 a.m. so I stay up. At 6, we walk! It's our first non-airport walk since we left Bandung 2.5 weeks ago. It's amazing to be in shirt sleeves, wearing sunblock and insect repellent, of course.

When we get home, I wander into the garden to clip flowers.

For tomorrow's IES bouquet, I spray-painted leaves before we walked - blue, green, and yellow motorcycle paint. I slip a plastic bag into the tall wooden vase we brought from Chang Mai.
PakG snags it from outside and takes it to the hall. I'm not sure about the painted leaves though they're a contrast with the garden flowers.
I'm in the mood for pancakes. These are easy-peasy. 1 c flour, a pinch of salt, 2 tsp bkg powder, 1 c milk, 1 egg. Mix. Fry in butter.

As usual after a brutal trip, Ibu S gives us a massage at the house. She leaves tomorrow to work in Jakarta for a week, so we're happy she was available. Today's pounding is especially painful, maybe because we didn't move much for the past few weeks. Ouch. Ouch. She unkinks our sore muscles, working an extra hour; we send her on her way with extra pay. Ach, feels much better when she's done.

A few pieces of bougainvillea are left over from the main arrangement. In a recycled candle glass, they'll look good in the back hall.
I have enough energy to write, make a few appointments, and warm up lunch = leftovers from the freezer. Maybe a piece of chocolate would give a spark of energy? Or should I just nap?

Read more:
*Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.
Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you.
If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.
 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.
Save me, for I am yours. I have sought out your precepts.
The wicked are waiting to destroy me, but I will ponder your statutes.
To all perfection I see a limit, but your commands are boundless.
Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies. Psalm 119:89-98

*When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

*Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

Moravian Prayer: Ever-present Help and Stay, we tire; we grow weary; we want to rest. Give us the strength to live well this day and serve you faithfully this day. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment