Friday, May 5, 2023

Recovery mode

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

The orchid Dr Gati sent over is stunning. Last week, I bought a stand that fits the vase perfectly. Why do beautiful things speak to my heart? I don't know. 

Beauty and patterns capture my attention, whether in botanicals or geometry. I've learned to appreciate that rather than fight it. What lights you up?

I'm scheduled for language class but still sick, so I stay home and rest. Midday during a downpour, I sling the orchid over some bromeliads beside the porch. Natural watering is healthier for this kind of perfection, rather than keeping it inside. The flowers glow.
Wednesday
Still miserable, I am able to start walking with one loop (1 mile) today. My lungs are clearing out and I can't stand to be inside another day. My mom set an example for what to do when we're not feeling 100%: she used to polish silver and clean her chandelier. I lounge on the porch and record a month's worth of Monday morning videos.
In the afternoon, it rains so hard that water pools on the lawn. It's the first time I've seen a pond there. It's not long before the water runs off. Can you spot the drops? Big blobs fall from the sky in quick succession.
Today's the first day of our team's new study: Experiencing God by Claude King and Henry Blackaby. We'll be learning to listen to God's voice and obey him together.
Thursday
I cruise 3 miles around the neighborhood since I'm missing the mountain hike. The neighborhood is at medium altitude and hilly so I know I'm recovering. When the hikers are beaten by sun in the sawah (rice fields) and get stuck in a downpour in the same fields on the way back, I'm happy to have missed it.

The driver has a fever and heads home early, missing a few days of work to recover. Stuff is going around - I'm glad W is ok as he will be teaching for the next 2 weeks.

From 9-11pm, the Mastermind meets; the women offer wise counsel and warm friendship. Their time zone is opposite ours - 11-14 hours behind. While 2 of us are wrapping up the evening in PJs (Singapore and Bandung), the rest are getting ready for the day. I'm happy to fall asleep before midnight.

Friday
More walking - just over 2 miles. Writing is a daily job. We toss things into the suitcase between being busy in the office most of the day. We thought we had Sunday off from speaking but the speaker has a fever - we'll use her notes on her behalf if she hasn't recovered in time.

We host a second study in the evening for the rest of the team. We are happy to get an email from our organization: our contract has been renewed for another 3 years, ending at the same time as our house lease. A lot can happen in 3 years!

Saturday
W and the dogs walk me around the block, just once. After a rotten night - though I did listen to a book or two - I get up and make myself a hearty breakfast of vegan tofu scramble. I remember a lot of vegan recipes from 2 decades ago when I had no choice (health restrictions).
We make calls - and show the grandkids the treasures I'm storing for them: a 4" snail shell and a 1.5" beetle skeleton. I need 2 more, one for each grandkid. (I wish I'd had an Oma like me, dragging home interesting wildlife. haha) 
W uploads videos for the weeks ahead and we schedule meetings with friends and colleagues. I need to get moving on some courses I'll be teaching in the future, too. Syllabi and course research are my least favorite part of being a lecturer. I like the classroom interaction best ... even more so when it's online.

Read more:
*You shall worship before the Lord your God; and you shall rejoice in every good thing which the Lord your God has given to you and your house. (Deuteronomy 26:10-11) 

*Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. (Psalm 62: 1, 2, 5-8)

*I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. (1 John 5:13-15)

*As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share. 1 Timothy 6:17-18

Moravian Prayer: Every gift comes from you, Lord. May your blessings of wealth and security lead us not to arrogant pride but to humble gratitude. May our gratitude for your gifts lead us not to clutch them tightly, but to open our hands and freely share them with love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment