Sunday, September 17, 2023

Enjoying eternal summer - food, fish, & celebrations

Friday, September 15, 2023

Waldemar is back from teaching in Jogja, mid-island of Java. We walk together and look at what needs reorganizing at the hall. After taking the dogs home, we walk to breakfast at #NaraPark. I choose my usual oolong tea. The server brings a second saucer for under the cup. Wow, that's new (and nice). Usually there's only a saucer under the teapot because ...?

I drink the whole pot of tea. This morning, tiny "sugar" ants were swarming the mug of peppermint tea on my nightstand - so I had to toss it. I'm thirsty.

I crave #PinoTerrace mie rica = noodle soup with 3 kinds of sambal (hot sauce) and order it nearly every time we have breakfast here. W eats my fried chicken-and-shrimp balls and deep-fried cracker.

Waldemar orders bubur ayam (chicken porridge). Notice the table setting is spoon and fork (no knives in sight), along with chopsticks for my noodles.

We've been asked to shoot a 2-minute video update for a partner. When that's done, we walk back down the hill to home.

Today marks 9 years since IbuA showed up to work for us. What a blessing she has been to our family and work. Her sister, who worked for a neighbor, strolled by the house the day we arrived in Bandung (August 15, 2014).

"Will you need a helper? My sister is looking for a part-time job near our neighborhood. And she's a good cook."

I told her yes, she could come for an interview in a month. Our rental was not clean. Obviously if someone started working for us in that condition, it would never get better. So Waldemar (mostly) and I spent the first month on our knees with a bristle brush and soapy water in a pail, scrubbing grime from the stone floor tiles, meter by meter. I scoured dirt from drawers, walls, and cabinets - and cleaned under beds and in closets.

By the time IbuA arrived, the house was in German Ordnung. And so it stays, for the most part. If something is missed, I run my hands over the spot and observe that my mom would notice and not be happy. (She ran a perfect household with Friday designated the day to "clean-until-it's-spotless.")

Yesterday, the women dust and wash the shelves in the nook. The younger helper passes chochkies off the high shelves to the older lady sitting below. They wipe the ever-present dust off books, vases, and souvenirs people have left behind. There's a Pakistani air force medallion. A Meissen bird. A vase from my parents' wedding. Some paintings. A few decorative plates.

"You have a lot of stuff here," says IbuA.

True. Arranged in collections, it looks tidy. Whenever we move, we'll host the mother of all garage sales, just as we did when we left Seattle. If we didn't use the bowls, vases, and books, it be a waste. But I often walk over to the shelves to pull down an item to be used or loaned out.

After the women leave, I transfer Christmas candles, placemats, and gift-wrapping supplies into the drawers of the new-to-us tables.

W and I go through Sunday's talk and walk up the hill for a $5 supper pizza. We're back before the mosquitoes get really mean.

Saturday

After a walk and a few calls, the fresh-baked peppermint scones are a failure (packaged). I make toast instead. Our "restless one" heads downtown for the day. Meanwhile, Leon drops by with questions about his research paper. He's in high school, writing an economics paper that would put some of my masters students to shame.

Lunch is delicious: a potato, shiitake mushrooms, a sliver of onion and green pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, and the leftover veggies and chicken from yesterday. As each ingredient is chopped, it goes into the skillet.

W eats in town and gets stuck on the way home in an angkot (little city transport van) that is slowed by rain and traffic. He's just getting over a cough from the flu so hopefully he comes back healthy.

Sunday

As always, Titik's floral creativity is a delight.

We celebrate Communion together as families and Family as we are wrapping up the gospel of Matthew. Next week is our last Sunday in this book, which we've studied together all year.

Falk is walking! The littles are adorable - and seem to shoot up from one week to the next.

There are new things afoot! The Vieiras lead the renovation of a children's classroom - the new mural looks wonderful. Clau's a gifted architect and designer.

As you bring in the new, the old has to go. This half-size drum kit for preschoolers and elementary kids is on its way out. It's a full ensemble with the cymbals and other drums stored on the other wall.
We have lunch and get updates from Jorge and Caron who have returned from Mexico. Their kids are jewels - does it help that Caron is a preschool teacher? Maybe!
And when we get home, the Porch is alive with the young adult crowd.
What a great bunch. I haven't met some of them before; it's great to see new students and young professionals joining the Hangout.
When everyone leaves, W and I clean the Porch fishbowls. I scoop out the plants, tossing anything that don't look healthy into the garden. We siphon off the old water, refilling with fresh drinking water before popping the plants back into the bowls. When fish get sucked through the hose, they're caught in the net stretched above the pail. I hold the net above the aquarium and let them flip themselves back to where they belong.

The fish don't seem shocked by the sudden infusion of clean water. They are fed daily and maintain their populations without intervention. The fry and older fish swim side by side. It's the easiest-care system I've every had, and I've been fish-keeping since elementary school.

Read more:

*In the midst of the congregation I will praise you. Psalm 22:22

*Jesus prayed for his disciples: “The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one.” John 17:22

*For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me. Philippians 1:21-26

Moravian Prayer: As one congregation, we praise your name, faithful Savior. We are grateful for all the ways in which you love us, shown to us so generously in the prayers Jesus offered for his disciples and for us. May your will be done through us today. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment