Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Noodle week

Sunday, September 22, 2024

We're up early to gather things for the hall. Prayer is one of our most enjoyable preparations for the day ahead.

Hanny is speaking today, with the help of Alice as translator. They're a good team.

Two ladies are working on a Women's Life Group, probably starting in November. That will give women time to share their opportunities and challenges in light of scripture.
We eat lunch with friends at #WarungEthnic.
When we arrive at the house, a gathering of young families is on the Porch. They do a parenting seminar and clean up so well that all that's left is a Jenga game in the nook. Oh - we get several requests for the peanut butter cookies and the chocolate banana bread baked by IbuS and IbuA. I send those out right away.
Monday
It's a day of meetings. I talk to one university dean online and go see another in her office after lunch. Bandung is full of universities: at least 30 campuses of higher education.

The past few weeks, I've been recruiting faculty and student volunteers for a community service project led by IES young people. I like doing interviews and enjoy meeting new people, so it's more fun than work. The deans tend to be curious about the world and genuinely concerned about their students and faculty.

I take along IbuS' chocolate banana cake for the deans. "Yum!" they agree.
Tuesday
Though we're wrapping up a long checklist this week (grading, writing, sermon prep, and meetings), we stroll to #NaraPark for date morning. We polish off spicy noodles (mine) and bread rolls covered in brown sugar (W's).
Half the morning is spend grading and writing reviews. (My 3BooksFull blog lists 182 reviews this year, but I review about half of what I read.
Meanwhile, thunder and lightening sweeps across the mountains into the valleys. Hearing the storm swell overhead, I unplug my computer. Whew. The electricity goes out with a direct "BANG" on the lightning rod of the house. The dogs hide under my desk and in the shower.

After a few conversations and business calls, the day is in full swing. Laurel comes for lunch before the team meets online. I get a WA reminder that a guest arrives tomorrow. Thank God for helpers. Today they cook, do laundry, and change bedding, preparing for a busy week in the household.
 
Laurel is clearing her room and gifts us with grape juice and other kitchen goodies.

I see a quick recipe flash by in my photos, using rice wrappers to make noodles. Noodles are my favorite staple but this kind is new to me. Why not give it a try?

I combine fresh-chopped ginger and onion, soy sauce, peanut butter, a teaspoon of sugar, sesame seeds, and a bit of oil in a hot pan. The rice squares soak in warm water for 10 seconds before I cut them into strips. All that's left to do is to mix the whole bunch in 2 bowls: one for W and one for me. Delicious and done in 5 minutes.
Wednesday
An early 2-hour meeting takes the place of our morning walk. After, I talk to Mom as usual. And a bonus is a call to friends teaching in Europe.
I write a few more book reviews to clear out the backlog of interesting reading in my online library. As I plow through grading and administrative stuff, I get a WhatsApp: "I'll be there in 20 minutes." Hurrah! our friend from Jakarta is on her way.

We spend the afternoon together, eating lunch at Ethnic so she can try their rösti. Then we hang out on the Porch with tea and cakes. We got to know Tirza 15 years ago in Seattle, one of three young students who made a huge impression on us. The women represented their country so well that we assumed all Indonesians were smart, wonderful people.
After she heads back to the train station, we wrap up the day, put things away, and have one more cup of tea. Peppermint, of course.

Read more:

*Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation. Psalm 111:1

*The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced. Isaiah 50:7

*When Peter noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Matthew 14:30

*Praise our God, all you his servants and all who fear him, small and great. Revelation 19:5

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Cry out, “Save us, God our Savior; gather us and deliver us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name, and glory in your praise. Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting."

Then all the people said “Amen” and “Praise the Lord.” [Prayer from 1 Chronicles 17:34-36]

No comments:

Post a Comment