Wednesday, March 30, 2022

A birthday and an evolving habitat

Monday, March 28, 2022

Our youngest son was my early 33rd birthday gift, years ago. He and I celebrate our birthdays this week. He's turned into a good man, which of course makes his parents happy.

"We are the richest people in the world because our children love and serve Jesus," my dad used to say. I echo him today. True wealth is about contentment and peace, not money.

I write short daily Lenten daily meditations. (You can subscribe or just check in once in a while; find them here.) Each year in the 40 days before Easter, followers of Jesus reflect on what he has done for us. It's been an amazing season already, and this is Day 24.

W and I walk the dogs and run into a class of young students. The girls squeal and shriek and pet the poodles, who tolerate the stroking with grace. Lizzy, who sent the two dogs our way, says, "That's what poodles do." They are so good with people, even though our dogs rarely are around kids.

Meanwhile, Gypsy growls and barks at a girl who lunges at him. I stroke his head and he calms. It's a lot of movement and a lot of noise. The girls are delighted to pose for a selfie.

My first online call in the office starts at 7:00. I call Mom between meetings and wrap up online before 2:00 pm. I missed breakfast but find some nuts and seeds in the office fridge for lunch. There are all kinds of things to finish at work, so time flies.

I walk past the LIPI neighborhood sentry and call out, "Selamat siang!" (Have a blessed midday.)

He corrects me, "No, Mrs. It's 'Selamat sore' already" (late afternoon). What? The clock in his sentry post says it's almost 4:00.

Supper is a special treat. Friends Dr Hanna and Alice send over Chinese noodles and other dishes from Queen Restaurant.

There's SO much food that we call Melvi and Kristi down to help us make a dent in it. Delicious.

I've forgotten to send the Lenten links to the various venues so I send those after supper. What else is undone? I haven't sent W videos for Mondays in April. I prefer to record in advance (and do other tasks ahead) so that emergencies don't derail us. I'm in a(tired but grateful mood so I shoot 4 of those before sundown, too. A working birthday, that's for sure.

When the gate buzzes after dark, it's a gift of beauty and abundance from Ruth. I unwrap 60 long-stemmed roses and put them into the sink basin to soak.
There are enough for 3 big bouquets - one in the principal bedroom,
one on the dining table, and 
one in the living room. Oh my. They are gorgeous. Thank you, friend! The house is full of red velvet.
Tuesday
W walks me to the office early to record Sunday's talk for BIC Online. Every week, we get to study scripture, present the talk twice, and reflect on God's goodness. It's work of the best sort, fulfilling and transforming for us. This coming Sunday we'll discuss 2X people saw God in person - and lived to tell others about it.

One wall of the gang (lane) that borders our area is crumbling back to its original brickwork.
The wall on the opposite side of the lane backs two houses under construction. Those are taking over the empty lots at the entry to our neighborhood. Since maintenance is not a high value, the walls on both sides of the little lane may look similar soon.

Our area was once shunned by adult children who sold off their parent's old homes. In the last four years, it has become popular again. Wealthy families are moving in and building their dream homes. We watch with bemusement as restaurants open, weekend parking becomes impossible, and the neighborhood rejuvenates.

Birthday wishes arrive yesterday and today due to the time offset with friends in Canada and the USA. It's fun to read the names attached to greetings - we've made memories with people across the planet. One of my favorite parts of the day is Mom's prayer over me this morning.
The team meeting and language school are online. I snag a protein bar and fortify myself with tea. Home in the afternoon, we meet new friends on the porch for a couple of hours.
The final meeting of the day starts at 6:30. I click out afterward with good counsel and many decisions ahead.

Wednesday
W and I go for our Wednesday breakfast date. Then I head for the office while he goes home - he has errands to run in town. At work, JP and I sign the next year's contract for meetings in the conference center. He and Judy are good hosts and managers. Various training events take place on the grounds, for children through adults.
In the office to store the document in the files, I tap on a drawer. Swarms of hundreds of ants explode from the file cabinet. I spray them down, watching them twitch and fall to the floor. Ugh. That will fill a pungki (dustbin) in a hurry.
The office is quiet for now. When we start back on site, it will be livelier.
When I get home, I find a spot for the table that's been in a corner for weeks. A few minutes of movement take all the tension out of my head.
Suddenly it's 10:30 and time to head out for our school day. Kristi and I travel to class on site but return before 3:00, brains exhausted.

Ruth's roses have opened up overnight in glorious fashion. She tells me she can order 20 long-stemmed roses @$5US. What!? I arrange to have her deliver them every 2 weeks. "I don't care what color! Whatever they have." Aren't they gorgeous?
Josh and Clau are back from a trip with goodies to share. A fun thing about travel is bringing back treats for each other.
The yard man cuts the tall grass next door today, clearing away the haven for snakes. It's nice to have things neat again. The helper sprays the corners in the work-shed where ants and termites are busily chewing wood; they leave piles of compost behind. Today is already better than yesterday.
I'll have one more meeting tonight. Then tomorrow, we will clear our heads with a walk in the mountains.

Read more:
*The Lord will send his angel before you. Genesis 24:7

*The angel said to Peter, “Fasten your belt and put on your sandals.” He did so. Then he said to him, “Wrap your cloak around you and follow me.” Peter went out and followed him; he did not realize that what was happening with the angel’s help was real. Acts 12:8-9

*God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:19

Moravian Prayer: God of wonders, whose holy message is carried on arms of wind and flame, whose marvelous works surround us even when unseen, let us sing aloud the praise of your help and ever-watchful care.

Blessed Jesus, we pray for change—real change and true transformation of our hearts and of the world we work to build every day. May your loving purposes and your holy will be done, as in heaven, so on earth and in our lives. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment