Thursday, June 6, 2013

My head is pounding. I wonder why.

The fish tanks are gone. I won't miss them like I miss my dogs.

Late last night, a couple moved out the live rock and sand, the fish and corals, the tanks and their stands, the filtered water and the gear.

It's a relief. The spring sun has been shining in the windows at an angle that promotes algae. The tanks were being overgrown! Our house sitter hasn't had saltwater aquariums, so we didn't want to leave them here over the summer.

Last night, our house sitter also came over for a home introduction, and I had a final coaching session with a client. I read a book (assigned for class: Other People's Words by Victoria Purcell-Gates.) Then I fell asleep as though dead.

It's 5am and I have a pounding headache. I kept waking, thinking of what needs doing. Bedding needs washing today or tomorrow. Cover the grand piano so if someone plays pool beside it, jumped balls can't dent the top. Pack. Clean up. Make sure the kitchen is in order. Clear the fridge. Vacuum. Dust. Tonight's our last night at home. Lord have mercy!

W's been grading courses and painting the basement. Tonight our electrician and plumber friends come to advise him on next steps. Meanwhile, I'm finishing up my class and cramming in all the homework time I can. Three project are due this weekend. Friday is our final exam.

We're not packed for Missouri (pre-field orientation) yet. W hauled up my summer clothes that were stored in the basement: there are four heaps of short-sleeved tops, sweaters, and trousers: 1) take along to Missouri, 2) take along to Singapore, 3) give away, and 4) maybe keep through this summer. We'll have one night at home between flights from Missouri and Singapore (teaching).

I promised to be honest about the process of going into missions. This part isn't fun nor very exciting.

I'm good at shedding tasks that don't belong on my checklist ... but these are unavoidable. We don't have time to put everything away: my office looks as though a hurricane has struck it. Not only is the paperwork for my Spore class on research methodology on the desk, but things have migrated from the guest room next door so Neeley has a bedroom. (W is sorting things in the usual guestroom.) Our bedroom is stacked with clothes and other things to pack. The laundry room (hardly touched in 4 weeks) is a ruin. My heart is happy to follow Jesus, but my body and mind protest the process. Christ have mercy!

Somehow things always fall into place, even if the journey is not as orderly or beautiful as we hope. The fish are gone. The dogs are gone. The dining table is gone. The rugs are being rolled up. And much more needs to go. The slow drift of "gone gone gone" continues.

Soon WE'll be gone for the summer.

How messy. Prayers appreciated. Lord have mercy!

Read more:
*Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good. Isaiah 55:2 (NLT)

*When Jesus was at the table with them, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. Luke 24:30-31 (NLT)

Moravian Prayer: O Bread of life, too often we forget that you provide all the answers! When we search for truth, help us turn to you and your Holy Word. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment