Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Up at night

Remember those all-nighters you pulled as a college student? I've never been much into that! And our kids did most of their homework in school, just like we did. After we understood things, we'd just get to work: we all hated bringing schoolwork home.

But once in a while - like last night - there's too much work to cram into the hours of the day. When I sat down with my grammar textbook yesterday, I wasn't in the mood for workbook exercises. The assignment was due last week, but I'd been away all weekend on a ministry retreat. (The prof had extended grace in advance.)

Restaurant Zoe
Yesterday after class, we'd scheduled our goodbye-for-the-summer dinner with friends at Restaurant Zoe in Capitol Hill. It's well worth a celebratory visit!

Then we hurried home. I got to work before 8pm. On top of this week's reading and writing, I needed to get that grammar text off my shelf. I decided to bite the bullet and get the work done in one gulp.

When I looked up, it was 1 a.m. Yeah, I was exhausted and my handwriting had devolved into a scribble, but the pages were full. I slapped shut the book, read about Elijah (2 Kings 4-8), and fell soundly asleep by 1:30.

These few marathon efforts make me appreciate everything we have. A warm bed. A quiet neighborhood. The dark of the forest outside the window. The kids grown and gone. The privilege of books. Our love of learning. An alarm clock.

Bright and early this morning, I woke to sunshine streaming in. By 7 a.m. I was on my way to school. I'm in the last of four weeks of TESOL classes. W and I have obligations each evening this week. In between, we're packing for Springfield: 2 weeks of Pre-Field Orientation lie ahead, starting Saturday. Before we leave, we have to pack for a month of teaching in Singapore, too: we'll just come in overnight to fly out again.

What keeps you up at night?

Read more:
*Listen to my words, Lord, consider my sighing. Hear my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:1-3 NIV

*The Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard. Isaiah 52:12 (NLT)

*Paul and Barnabas related all that God had done with them, and how he had opened a door of faith for the Gentiles. Acts 14:27 (NLT)

Moravian Prayer: All-powerful, all-knowing God, at times it is easy for us to forget all that you have done for us, and all that you continue to do. In the busyness and stress of everyday living, help us find your strength in us. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment