Sunday, May 4, 2014

3 things about: God and his secrets

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. But the more we research and find out, the more there is to know ... and the more mysterious the world and God seem to us. 

When you pause to think about God and the universe, do you get overwhelmed? I admit it: I do, too! I remember our youngest son at 8 years old, who loved reading the book of Revelation. He was moaning one evening, "Mom I have such a headache."

I asked him why.

"I'm reading the last book of the Bible and it gives me a headache to try to figure it out." (Yes, son. Even today, I can't understand it, but we do find out that God holds the universe together in the end.)

Here are three things we know about God and his secrets:

1. God is unique. Aren't you glad someone knows everything? It's sure not me (or you). 

You are the Lord, you alone; you have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. Nehemiah 9:6 ESV

2. God has secrets. However, we ARE responsible to act on - and to pass on - the stuff we know about. One of W's and my defining verses is below. As professors, we admit defeat when it comes to being able to figure everything out.

The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever - that we might follow all the words of this law.  Deuteronomy 29:29 NIV

Reflected beauty
3. Want to know more? God makes things that reflect himself, so our surroundings demonstrate what our mysterious, invisible God is like. Kinda cool!

Ever since the creation of the world God's eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made.  Romans 1:20 ESV

Read more: 
*Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:15-17 NIV

Moravian Prayer: Lord, we long for a world of togetherness and love. In days of struggle and misdirection, we pray that you make us whole. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment