Monday, May 19, 2014

3 things about travel

I'm on the road again, this time to say goodbye to precious family in Canada. Here are three things that surprised me when I first began to travel as a teenager:

1. You take yourself wherever you go. 

The first time I went to Europe, I was shocked that I was the same person, whether showing up in Linz, Austria, southern Germany, or London. Though the surroundings changed, it was me standing in the landscape. I learned to show up with all my might to gain great enjoyment.

Visiting a Christmas market in Berne, Switzerland, with family
2. The way people do things works in their surroundings, even when it's not the way we do it at home.

We might think, "You could get more done ..." or "Why haven't you tried it this way ...?" or  -- ? In each community, people have figured out ways of living that suit them. Just because it works for my tribe in our setting, doesn't mean our way is "better" that what someone is doing elsewhere.

Eating parata with international students in Singapore
3. The world is a beautiful place. 

God made a gorgeous planet and put interesting people, astonishing resources, and diversity everywhere. We get to enjoy similarities and differences when we land on a new shore.

Exploring Israel with university students
What have you learned in your travels? What surprised you? Was anything just as you expected?

Read more:
*Bless our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard, who has kept us among the living, and has not let our feet slip. Psalm 66:8-9 ESV

*We, who were the first to set our hope on Christ, might live for the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:12 ESV

Moravian Prayer: Fulfilling Lord, we pray for the day you will come in glory—we will shout and sing praise to you. May we lay down all that we have in your name, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment