Monday, August 20, 2018

A great class and back home, happy

Sunday, August 12, 2018
It's raining. Raining buckets. Thunder. Lightning. Some people I know love it. The cool and damp feels like relief to them.

Sometimes I think my loathing for overcast and rain (and snow) has been exaggerated. Then I experience day-after-day drizzle or deluge, and ... nope - I truly hate this weather.

I wash a few clothes Friday night, wring them out, and hang them to dry. They are still wet Sunday morning. This is such a beautiful room and the view outside is gorgeous when not obscured. I'm grateful for good accomodations.

The rain pelts down outside and splashes on the windows. The thunder rumbles and the lightning flashes. (Well, lightning is kinda cool. I love the power of God expressed in the light.) I feel damp. No thanks - an occasional working trip to rain country reminds me how much I love warm sunshine...

I found an empty bottle and put in a few leaves from my walks. I love live plants and they like the rain. Good stuff. I'm inside with condensation obscuring the view so it's nice to have something green to cheer me up.

I called maintenance about 7pm last night to see if we would have water. It had been off since before noon. The building has a few leaks so they caulked or plugged whatever was dripping in our hallway. They kindly obliged, sent a young man to scurry up the ladder to check the ceiling, and turned the supply back on.

What a relief to have a hot shower and flush the toilet. But the room just felt damper. I don't have a heater in the room (automatically controlled) so I can't turn up the heat. My hot water bottle is saving my life, sitting on my lap during the day, and warming the sheets before I crawl in at night.

I found a new travel tip: "Get toilet paper to go. It's light and useful," says one of the students. Someone brought it to class to show us. Many toilets don't provide paper, so taking tissues along is a thing.

After church, I'm back at work. Yesterday was a lovely Sabbath and visit with Vanessa - I feel renewed and happy, knowing how God is calling young families to serve in all kinds of ways. She and her husband manage an orphanage for 38 children on the Filipino coast.

Monday to Friday
My doctoral class is wonderful - the course is on Spirituality and Ministry and people respond with stories and experiences of how God is at work in them and their areas of service.

The weather is horrid (from my perspective) - overcast, cold, rainy - but I've got clothing for the occasion. I wear sweaters and light coats over an undershirt and blouse. And my hot water bottle is a trusty companion at night.

It's a blessing to see the class bond together as they talk, pray over each other, and exchange resources for papers and projects.

My back has been cramping. The staff members recommend one of their own who is also a masseuse. I have a hard (fantastic) massage after work Thursday. She comes highly recommended and is very reasonable. I'm bruised and relaxed. How can that happen at the same time?

Friday
At 10pm, the driver has come to take me back to Manilla. We bring along the seminary president's assistant and two other drivers: our driver made the 7 hr trip to Manilla and (back 7 hrs) today.

Saturday
No worries - while I sleep on the bench seat, he drives us to the airport; it's quick - 5 hours? The driver parks in the airport garage and tells me they want to wait a few hours with me. At 5am, my alarm rings and they walk me and my luggage into the terminal.

My flight is delayed from 8 to noon - but then, 4 hours later, I'm in Jakarta. I have to wait an hour to catch the van to Bandung.

The company promises a 3-hr ride, which is surely a record and impossible. Except that we weave in and out and make it to Bandung in 3 hours. The driver goes 70mph when he can ... the fastest I've ever gone in Indonesia.

W meets me at the taxi stand and we head home. It's about a 24 hour trip back ... and I can't remember when I've been happier to unpack and crawl into my own bed.

Sunday
It's good to be in church again. W speaks on God's healing of the whole person, beyond the physical. After service, we head to an acreage where traditional archers are practicing their craft. A rice planter works the fields.

The archers eat together after working out.

One of the young women shows me how she uses her bow.



Then we go for lunch at a Papua New Guinea restaurant.

The gluey Sago is excellent with curry.

And the hot stone beef is tasty.



We are home about 3:30. At t, we head down the hills to a dedication and prayers at a halfway house. Jorge, Denis, and their charity are caring for juvenile offenders before they reenter the community. About 60 people show up to show support.

We're home by 9 and I finish a few more things to finish before sleep claims me.

Monday
My early conference call is postponed. So W and I walk to Jogja grocer for grape juice at 7am. They have none. The dogs are delighted to be out and around. W walks me and the dogs home and walks down the hill to another grocer. He's back by 9.

The study is excellent with 20 attendees, glad to be together. I haven't baked homemade bread (I ran out of time) so I get two slices of a store-bought loaf, a goblet, and grape juice for our celebration. We're concluding a study of the Lord's Supper in Luke 22.

Except that Jenny, who bakes bread, has brought a fresh loaf along. She offers it to us. We break bread together, each tearing off a piece. Then we dip it into the juice goblet and pray a blessing.

Then it's team meeting. Sumi has cooked two baby chickens (.8 kg each, fresh from the grocer) and heated up Nangka (curried jackfruit), plus some rice. Delicious. We discuss many things; everyone is active and finding new opportunities. W and I wave goodbye to the last person after 3.

I'm tired, still settling in after travels. But the poodle needs grooming. It takes a bit over a half hour to brush out Cocoa's beautiful hair. Then the dogs are off for another walk with the driver.

W walks to town to get books ready for book group tomorrow - while I finish writing.

Read more:
*Lay aside immaturity, and live, and walk in the way of insight. Proverbs 9:6
*The Lord has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed, to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and release to the prisoners. Isaiah 61:1
*Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart. Acts 2:46 NASB
*Paul wrote: We are workers with you for your joy. 2 Corinthians 1:24
Moravian Prayer: Redeeming God, you bring righteousness to the wronged and healing to the sick. Help us to see your work in the most unlikely places.
In the week ahead, Lord, watch over the people you have put in our path to meet. May we seek opportunities to overlook the diversity among us and focus on our similarities. In your son’s name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment