Saturday, August 11, 2018

"Up up with people" (remember that song?)

Friday, August 10, 2018
We wrap up the week with the enthusiastic participation of the class. Everyone offers suggestions on the research topics and the questions. I write down the takeaways. My heart is full.
I drop the computer and final assignments to be graded into my room. Then Galen and Dickie take me for supper to a Nepalese restaurant - oh yum! - and then to a bakery.

We run into Woodim and Shiloah Ma and their family. He's the son of scholars Julie and Wonsuk Ma (who I met years ago on a NU debate trip to Oxford.) Their kids are adorable.

The chocolate choux pastry is a marvelous end to a long week - along with a cup of mint tea. The hospitable kindness of the faculty and staff feels generous and makes me feel at home.

The Filipino "school bus" and "city bus" and all-around transit vehicle is a jeepney. Two long benches line the sides; people hop in and out of the back. Many are hand-painted and souped up. This one, belonging to the seminary, is more sedate.


Saturday
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Dad! amazing how you're still going strong - pedaling for kilometers, walking in the morning, making vile healthy breakfast smoothies to get good nutrition, exercising at night  ... no wonder you're fit as a fiddle. God's been so good to me and my brothers, giving us a father who believes in us and sent us into the world (and around the globe.)

There's no one as special as my dad - and I am blessed because of him. He's my role model of what God my Father is like. Thanks, Pop.
And thanks to Melissa for shooting this picture last weekend!

After a few minutes of texting, Kim and I decide to call each other. She offers encouragement and good advice for the class ahead. Thanks, friend!

There's no water most of the day, "until 6 tonight, ok, ma'am?" says a handyman in the morning. This is the third day with no water for a good part of the day. Feels like home! I fill up a hot-water bottle and the carafe from the coffee maker, in case I need to wash my hands or flush a toilet. Drinking water is down the hall, so that's no problem.

Koram (from a Himalayan country) comes to see me in the morning. We're trying to boost her project forward as she writes for her doctorate. After an hour and a half, she's got clearer direction and some resources. She'll work on the outline before we meet again next week. She leaves some coffee and tea from her country. Can't wait to share it with W.

Meanwhile, Vanessa is driving from the coast for 4 hours. Yesterday she dropped by her local ACE hardware to find the little plug-in water heaters that we use to heat water for washing dishes in our kitchen. Can't get those in our country.

We chase each other from parking lot to dining hall to my room - and finally connect in a hallway. Then it's off to Lemon & Olives, a good restaurant nearby. We avoid town because the weekend holidayers from Manilla snarl traffic in Baguio. The rain pounds down around us, drizzles away the afternoon, and obscures the spectacular views.

By 4:00, Vanessa is on her way home. Waze says a 5-hour trip lies ahead of her. Oh no! What a sweet friend.

Thanks, Vanessa. The chocolate cake is tucked away for a treat tonight and the heaters are packed away for the trip home. And then it's time to do research - I have quite a ways to go tonight ...

Read more:
*The nations are like a drop from a bucket and are accounted as dust on the scales. Isaiah 40:15
*Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” Matthew 28:18-20
*May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones. 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13 NIV
Moravian Prayer: God, in the vastness of this world, you see me, even though I am just a speck. Thank you for your steadfast love in sending your son to teach me the way. May each of us heed your request and go forth discipling others—in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment