Thursday, August 9, 2018

Hills and more hills

Monday, August 6, 2018
A conference call at 6am is a wonderful refresher. I need to see my mentor-friend's face and hear her prayers and counsel. I now have a knife, a spoon, and a glass, so I rest a slice of peanut-buttered bread on a plastic bag and have breakfast. At 7:20, I head up the hill to teach.

Whew, these students are early birds. I get into the classroom about 7:30 and at least five faces are smiling at me. Class starts at 8. By that time, I've run almost a few hundred steps, up and down in the high altitude. (It's good to get blood pumping: my tracker - which is usually low - says I've done 22 flights up and 22 down by day's end.)

We have a few tech issues as usual - we need an adaptor to connect into American plugs with Asian electrical cords, etc. The projector has to be swapped out. We need an extension cord. And then we're off.

The students smile and sigh as they put their smartphones into the welcome basket I've brought from my room.  "We don't think we can survive, doctor."

haha. Let's try together. The students need this information to do their research and writing, so I'm Cruella on phones. I toss mine in the basket, too. I'm just as addicted.

 Recognize this fruit? It's dragon fruit - and so yummy! I ate it this morning, taking fruit out of my food basket so I'd have a phone container.



The last time I taught, the addiction of checking messages brought many duplicate questions from students who weren't paying attention. (They were fully engaged ... until a ping on the phone distracted them - then they were messaging and lost to us until they looked up a few minutes later. "What does that mean?" Um, we just explained that ...)

It's a beautiful day - we open the windows as the fog burns off the mountain, turn on a few fans by lunchtime, and work together. The food is pretty good in the cafeteria.

After class, we head to the academic dean's apartment. Dr. Chai has pizza and pasta for the group. We mingle and enjoy getting to know each other. When I head back to my room, I grade papers until 10:30. I'm exhausted and fall right to sleep.

Tuesday
It's another early morning of prep (resources to a thumb drive). A student peeks her head into the open door at 7:20. She's on her way to the 8:00 class. I follow shortly after. Up the hill we go. I'm grateful for the altitude and hills we climb in Bandung. When we came to teach here from the USA, we'd huff and puff all the way to class, esp if carrying a heavy computer and book bag. This time, if I do it slow and steady, I'm just fine.

But I run the steps a few times. I don't like stairs. There are about 220 from my room to the classroom - and I go up and down at least twice a day, plus a few extra flights to the library, chapel, and office. The campus is well-lit, with white striping on the walks and stair edges.

It's also a special day because I open the drawer of the desk and find the "missing" cutlery and housewares - no, they haven't left me to eat with my fingers after all. (Honestly, Rosemarie, keep exploring! I've walked to every corner of the campus before opening the desk drawers. Hmmmm.)

I brought my hot water bottle and fill it with water from the coffee maker every night. So good to have a warm bed to crawl into.

Wednesday
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Dad and Mom! My parents have been married 65 years today. WOWOWOWOWOWOW. They're amazing. By God's grace, they've stayed in love all these years and given us great role models.

I've found my morning routine: up at 5:30, do class prep, collect supplies and papers and sort what I need into my tote. Then I shower and eat a snack from the afternoon before (usually banana cake) with a cup of tea. I head for class before 8.

It's overcast and dripping. Reminds me of Chilliwack, where I grew up. I'm wearing sweaters and jackets all week, which is kind of fun after short sleeves and trousers every day.

Lunch is at Johnsons, where the African curry comes complete with raisins, bananas, peanuts, shredded coconut, and good company. Then it's back to class. These are long days: 8-5, with an hour for chapel (T-Th), another for lunch, and work until 5. At night, there's always a few hours of grading.

Supper is at the president's house, along with about 70 Chinese students who are on a short-term study course. The food is great, the hospitality warm. The academic dean and I sequester ourselves in a corner but are found and have a great time talking to the students, who head home this weekend.

By the time I'm home in the evening, I've done about 1000 steps. (That doesn't count the slopes from one building to another. The seminary is built into a mountainside.) My knees feel sore tonight: I didn't have good heels on the worn-out hiking sandals I slipped on this morning. I only walk a few miles each day, but it's a steep grade from A to B ... unless you're walking a hallway.

Thursday
"Give your offering!" the students say and laugh as they toss their phones into the basket. It's been a good way to stay engaged. They begin their presentations today - we'll wrap up the research methods class tomorrow. They cheer each other on, give advice, ask questions, and sharpen their projects. Some of the ideas have the potential to be world-changing.

We take our obligatory class picture and then a goofy one, I with my phone and the photographer of the class with a decent camera.

Read more:
*You must follow exactly the path that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live. Deuteronomy 5:33

*You came near when I called on you; you said, ‘Do not fear!’ Lamentations 3:57

*The Lord filled Zion with justice and righteousness; he will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. Isaiah 33:5-6
*Jesus said, “As you go, proclaim the good news, ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’” Matthew 10:7
*When Jesus saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, he came towards them early in the morning. Mark 6:48
*Jesus said to the lawyer, “What is written in the law? What do you read there?” He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.” Luke 10:26-28
Moravian Prayer: Heavenly Father, you seek to lessen our challenges even when we don’t realize our struggle. May we rely on your work in our lives and may we trust your words when you say, “Do not fear.”
As we are called to share the good news with the world, may our actions reflect our words and our hearts’ desire. Lord, we ask that you teach us every day how to be your disciples. You are the one who offers us words of wisdom and guidance through our trying times. May our ears be in tune to the needs of those around us and may we hear your voice within us. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment