Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Behind the teacher desk

Monday, July 29, 2024

Ah Bandung, for a morning walk in fresh cold air. We figure it's about 67oF/18oC so I pull on a coat. Look at this double hibiscus.

Some of the trees peel their bark as they grow - and this 2.5' (85cm) chunk looks like a base for flower arranging to me. I tuck it under my arm.
The neighbor asks, "What's that, Ibu?" and I show her the marvelous find. Can't wait to use it.
On a corner, can you spot the "Chameleon" working on the ladder? Three guys are putting up a new sign. One supervises from the side. Two others adjust the vinyl banner to his satisfaction. Every few months, the banner tears in the wind and sun so there's a new offering hauled above the street.
I open the office curtains to the view across my desk. It's the final prep day, ensuring everything is ready for tomorrow's doctoral class online. My 16oz mug of Turkish tea is at hand, along with binders of notes.
At IES Bandung this year, we've been preaching through the book of Acts. This fun find is leaning against the wall in my office: a poster book of Bible summaries. Each book of the Bible has a designated page with highlights from that book.

Herbert is graduating this afternoon. PakDanny, W and I join other friends at his graduation ceremony, delighted that he's completed within the deadline. The ceremony, attended by the university rector and faculty, is for 2 graduates. They offer a warm welcome to the graduates, ask them to recruit for UNPAR, and give them their hard-earned diplomas.

Tomorrow, Herbert is off to Jakarta on his way home to Tanzania. Indonesian scholarships bring students from every corner of the globe to various Bandung universities. Surprising to us is that within a day or two of completing your studies, you are shipped back to your country.

We share lunch with Herbert and friends and hug him goodbye.
He promises to keep us updated - we will miss him on the team!

Tuesday

W and I walk as high schoolers on motorcycles buzz to the second week of classes after their month-long break.

I spot something on the road: is that a snake? It's worth a second look. Nope, it's a ripe bean pod that fell from the tree above. Whew.


I log onto the zoom class an hour early to get ready. Except ... oops - their time zone is an hour ahead and it's time for class NOW. We have all kinds of challenges this first day: our Indonesian internet quits, so I have to log in again. They reset the zoom permissions so I can see the class and share my screen at the same time. The cohort may be small but they are wonderful.

W takes a class hour to explain background theology and offers his contact email to students for further discussion. I mess up the lunch schedule so they eat a half hour later than promised. "Tell me when it's lunch-time, if I go over!" I say to them after realizing my mistake.

"Ah, when the information is so interesting, we just want you to keep going." Well, that's one thing, but I'm sure they are hungry. We have 5 hours of class each day, which is a lot of information!

After class, W helps me swap out the "easy-care" IKEA rug (set down during travels) for a multi-color one. The grey checks go back into our bedroom corner, softening the stone floors for morning exercises.

I like the colorful texture of the Pakistani rug. While we're away, I don't want to think about getting the expensive one wet if someone mops the floor.

A few hours of writing and prep, and it's late afternoon. Time to read and relax.

Wednesday

At least today I know what time my class is starting! I look forward to seeing the students and sharing the notes. We hit the last PPT slide as my final alarm sounds. They're off to lunch before the last hour of class, which is set aside for their presentations.

During the break, I consume my uneaten dinner from yesterday; I would only snack after lunch if it were only myself. However, W likes to eat supper so I usually make something. Yesterday, I had no appetite beyond fruit and snacks. I put my dinner back into the fridge. So today's lunch is dumplings, Malaysian curry chicken (with spices from Penang), and more tea. The rest of the household has a fresh lunch prepared by IbuS.

My nose start to plug up and my eyes start to water mid-morning. Hopefully this is temporary.

Thursday

I'm wakened by calls as the phone buzzes throughout the night. (Why? My ringer and notifications are off between 10 and 6!) By 4:00 I give up, turn on the light, reply, and catch up on messages. I stay behind when W and the dogs head north to the weekly mountain hike. This is the walk I miss.

Time to rest. Um, maybe not. I make some calls and write book reviews. Also on the to-do list is writing two monthly newsletters and reviewing the sermon for Sunday. It will be our first time speaking in 7 weeks. Oh my, we are glad to be home.

Read more:

*God will never forget the needy; the hope of the afflicted will never perish. Psalm 9:18

*Jesus said, “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.” Luke 6:20

Moravian Prayer: Merciful God, amidst all the clutter of our days, we need constant reminders that you do not forget us; our hope in you and your promises remains strong. Further remind us that we are never alone, as Jesus has promised us, “I will be with you always.” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment