Monday, July 15, 2024

Oh Canada, land of the free (and our moms)

Thursday, July 11, 2024

We pass the beautiful Everett station and arrive in Edmonds mid-afternoon. Terry picks us up and discusses the theological nature of sin with W on the way to the house.

Melissa has cooked a turkey dinner ("an early Thanksgiving"). Turkeys cost $100/bird in Bandung so it's a special treat. The kids play a few songs for us afterwards.
We give the gleaned flowers a snip of scissors at the table.
Friday
At 7:00-ish, Kim and I visit at Third Place Commons. After, I whisk off to pick up W, who wants to go shopping. He deposits me in Woodinville to meet with the WPPRS. We four friends used to meet every 3 weeks. Now we live across the western USA and the world so we haven't met in person for at least 7 years.
Levi loves to bake. He's baked a breakfast loaf of bread, sending along a slice for me and two for my mother. We enjoy them as toast the next day.
After my meetings, W and I are off to Canada to see our moms. At the Abbotsford airport, we pass a jet perched near the street.
W drops me off in my hometown. My brother comes by to say hello while W drives to see his mother in a neighboring town. She sends along some family rings: I choose one with pink gold and quartz. I'll pray for her each time this family treasure is worn. Thanks!
I meet Mom's homecare-r Tracy. What a nice person. She prepares Mom's lunch of turkey (sent along by Melissa), fresh-cooked (and mashed) potatoes, and vegetables. She puts a second portion and an extra sandwich in the fridge for tomorrow. Mom and I spend the day together. 
W comes back at night to sleep at Mom's: there's nowhere to sleep with his family.

Saturday
W and I start the day by walking along the Hope Slough.
We run into a friend from 50 years ago, also strolling beside the river. Nice to see you, Ingrid! She drops in on Mom sometimes with a pot of soup and takes time to pray together.
All is calm after the winter runoff is over.
The trees are enormous and green.
W asks if he can stand by one for scale. Why not?
There are not many flowering trees at this time of summer but there are fruits and berries aplenty.
A new weeping willow has been planted in the park as well. That will grow as wide as high (at least 10-20 m) within a decade.
W drives off again while Mom and I visit. Tracy has organized Mom's meds and food so Mom's job is to fill in a checklist as she finishes each item. W returns in mid-afternoon. His sister is in the middle of moving house; they call each other but can't meet. He brings a burger for supper, while Mom eats her sandwich. Neither of us ate lunch but a half burger is enough. We wrap them up for another time.
We hug Mom, pray together, and say goodbye at 6:30 pm. We can't remember when there was no other car at the border crossing, coming or going. That happens this weekend. With the hot summer season, apparently everyone has fled to the lake or gone camping. We stop at a nearly-empty Bellingham outlet store to stock up on shoes and trail bars. We arrive in Seattle before 10 pm.

Sunday
M and Kinsey are on the worship team at church so they leave after a breakfast of Levi's home-baked bread and other goodies. I adjust McK's bow as I used to do for our daughter. 
It brings back fond memories. Within the hour, the rest of us are off to church as well.
The friendly congregation (Freedom Church, Woodinville) hears a solid message: the topic is God's plans for healthy marriage. T and M lead the children's church, exploring what it means to be a trustworthy servant of God.
The guys lunch elsewhere while Melissa, the kids, and I enjoy lunch in the church-yard after the Gathering. The feast of chicken, salad, chips, and pies is shared around shaded tables. Oh, we miss this food.

By 2:00, we're home again and ready for a nap. When the guys return, W wakes me at 4:00 pm. I get to hug Jonathan (our youngest) and chat for a few hours. After Jono leaves, T and W carry down the Chinese carved horse that was a feature in our old living room upstairs. Guests would be sitting and chatting when they'd suddenly spot the statue and exclaim, "Is that a horse?!" Every room needs one of those surprises.

Monday
I get up late, color my hair, and eat breakfast with the family. McK is creating sand art at the table. K reads and the boys play with magnetic triangles. They build all kinds of interesting structures.
Downstairs, we clear off the coffee table, setting aside the bronze lizard, mossy branch, and coco pods on the table chandelier. W lifts the suitcases onto the table so we can fill them. Time to pack. My suitcases aren't full before they're at weight capacity. 
We eat the second half of our Saturday burgers for lunch before W heads to coffee with a former faculty colleague and friend. We lay out our travel clothes, make calls, and send the e-mails we need to finish before we arrive home in Indonesia ... and the day flies by.

We have one last supper with the kids and grands before we finish packing. What a sweet trip it has been: work combined with connections with family, partners, and friends. And it's over. In a few hours, we fly home.

Read more:
*Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come. Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, you who have done great things. Who is like you, God? Psalm 71:17-19

*We praise you, God, we praise you, for your Name is near; people tell of your wonderful deeds. You say, “I choose the appointed time; it is I who judge with equity. When the earth and all its people quake, it is I who hold its pillars firm.


To the arrogant I say, ‘Boast no more,’ and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horns. Do not lift your horns against heaven; do not speak so defiantly.’” No one from the east or the west or from the desert can exalt themselves. It is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another. Psalm 75: 1-7


*In the place where it was said to them, “You are not my people,” it shall be said to them, "Children of the living God.” Hosea 1:10

*So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir through God. Galatians 4:7

Moravian Prayer: O holy God, whose arms are wide open to all your children, we offer praise and thanksgiving. Lead us to extend equally open arms to those from whom we are separated by the barriers of prejudice, mistrust, resentment, and fear. In Jesus’ reconciling name, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment