Thursday, June 3, 2010

"But I want to be happy!"

"But I just want to be happy," sighed the young lady before me. "All I ever wanted was to be happy."

Linda's a party girl, always up for a drink or a laugh. Her family takes second place to her search for pleasure. She's beginning to reap the consequences. Money is short. Friends are unreliable. And people who love her are holding back rather than embracing her enthusiasms.

What we think determines how happy we will be. Happiness is internal. Seeking it in external relationships, activities, and material things does not satisfy. Although we go through deep waters, turmoil, and upheaval, we can feel the blessings of God and the approval of his presence when we stay close to his side.

Read more:
*Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,  nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
 
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,  and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water,  that brings forth its fruit in its season,  whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. Psalm 1:1-3 NKJV

*The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; he leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
        
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23 NKJV

*Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment