Sunday, June 20, 2010

Not quite perfect


 Church has changed - dress is casual compared to 20 years ago. That parallels an openness about not pretending things are ok, every day. I walked to church this morning, wearing flip-flops. Once again, I enjoyed meeting people who are interested in a life of faith. Most were dressed in jeans or other casual wear.

When I was little, you'd better believe that we dressed up for church. We'd never dare let anyone know our life wasn't hunky-dory. No one needed to know that we weren't free of sinful habits, that we'd fought with our spouse on the way to church, that our kids were rebelling. Ongoing challenges might imply that Jesus was "not big enough" to solve our problems or that we weren't serious about being Christians.

Of course, in a fallen world there have to be crises and brokenness. A place that is perfect would be heaven.

Whether trouble comes from within ourselves, from relationships with others, or from circumstances beyond our control, we need not be surprised. We all know we're not without flaws (unless we're in denial). Our shortcomings and the faults of others will inevitably produce conflicts.

As I looked through the rows of folding chairs in the school gym, I sighed with relief to know that God IS big and wise enough. He will see each of us through the delights and tragedies of life. He's there for every bit - including the mediocre - between, too. No pretending needed!

Read more:
*I will love You, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:1-3 NKJV

*The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked came against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and foes, they stumbled and fell. Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident.
        
 One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:1-5 NKJV

1 comment:

  1. Wow, now there's a hat! It looks like she's being eaten alive!

    ReplyDelete