The 10 Commandments aren't designed just to "make us mind." They point out God's high expectations for alignment with God's character. Yet who of us has never disrespected God, lied, stolen, looked lustfully at another person, or coveted someone's "stuff?" When we "break" a commandment, we trespass against the holiness and purity of God. We become warped, increasingly imperfect specimens of humanity.
Reading through Psalm 119: 89-97 this morning reminds me that there is one who is perfect. How blessed we are to have that perfection attributed to us when we shelter under the cross of Christ.
Who is this wonderful God, who not only provides the Standard, but extends such favor to us? Who is the One who offers us wholeness?
- Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. HE IS UNCHANGING
- Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures. HE IS FAITHFUL
- Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you. ...ENDURING
- If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. ...SUSTAINING
- I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life. ...PRESERVING
- Save me, for I am yours; I have sought out your precepts. ...RESCUING
- The wicked are waiting to destroy me, but I will ponder your statutes. ...GOOD
- To all perfection I see a limit; but your commands are boundless. ...LIMITLESS
- Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. ...BEAUTIFUL
- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. ...A LIGHT TO FOLLOW
Now that's perfection worth celebrating and a God worth emulating!