Thursday, March 7, 2013

Lent Day 20: Compliant or defiant?

I'm halfway to Day 40. Looking forward to Easter AND to watching programs on Roku. (Definitely in that order.)

Something about "you have to" sticks in my craw. If I really like the person who is giving orders, I don't mind jumping in to get the job done. If someone I don't respect demands a task from me, it's harder to comply.

I don't like self-disciplines either. "I will exercise" leads to avoidance. "I will eat healthy" makes me hunger for fatty, salty foods like dairy and meats. And, "I will write every day during Lent" creates a chore out of what comes naturally and what I usually love: writing.

What should you accomplish today? What MUST you do today?

Why not examine yourself on your attitude? Are you compliant? Internally willful and defiant (as is my nature)? Struggling for energy? Happy to check off a to-do list, whether it's yours or from another person?

An accountability friend helped me work through a situation where I had communicated, "DO THIS" instead of "Will you help me with this?" The person I tasked got angry and our relationship was stuck.

My friend asked me, "Do you like to be told what to do?"

It took no time at all for me to yelp, "NOPE!!!" and set a corrective course.

When I look at Jesus' life, I see utter compliance to the Father's will. He paid attention to Jewish laws and performed most of the rituals without question. But when there was a conflict - when human demands infringed on God's commands - he consistently lived out his priorities. Jesus obeyed his parents. He valued people. He honored and obeyed God.

I want to conform to Christ's nature, don't you? I want to instantly obey God, especially when that means respecting others he's set over (and beside) me.

When peers or bosses ask your help, does the way they ask matter to you? How do you want them to phrase their requests?

Read more:
*Yours, O Lord, are the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heavens and on the earth is yours. 1 Chronicles 29:11 NLT

*[Jesus said:] "I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father. Come, let's be going." John 14:31 NLT

*Worship him who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water. Revelation 14:7

Moravian Prayer: Creator God, we pray to be more grateful for all that is presented to us each day: our natural surroundings; relationships; and all that life brings. Open our eyes every day, in every way, to wonder, awe and gratitude. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment