Monday, March 4, 2013

Lent Day 17: Scanning the past

2-3" binders (on a 6' bookshelf)
beside my dissertation files (7' high)
Technology. Sigh. Need it. Hate it.

"You're lucky," I said to W this morning. "You know that the program is not working. Most of us would just assume we're tech-idiots and tear our hair out in frustration."

The job of the day was a fresh start. I need to get rid of dozens (50+) binders of academic notes, writing projects and studies, and "maybe-some-day" papers. I planned to scan them onto the computer with the "super-easy, best-ever" scanner W picked up at the CES convention in Vegas this year.

The scan program won't install on my computer. The papers I pulled out? The binders I started moving from bookshelf to office? Stalled. W's sending feedback to the company about the program glitch, asking how to fix it. He's hopeful that he can install it tonight.

Freecycle stack: empty binders, blank notebook,
and unused ruled paper
In one pile, I've collected the unused binders, the ruled paper still in its wrapper, and a few 3-subject notebooks, handy for making notes while sitting in the tub.

This month I present one final conference session on my dissertation topic. The paper is written, published, and just needs to be read aloud. It's time to shed those hard copies of research. (Before I throw them in the garbage, I'll ask if the gal writing a paper on early Pentecostal women wants them.)

Alice Wood journal from the 1910s
I find several hundred photocopies of a missionary journal. Ah, yesssss. I promised a denominational archivist that I'd transcribe Alice Wood's diary if she sent me copies. Catherine duly sent the pages so I'm obligated. It will be nice to finish reading Alice's chicken-scratch and send that off. Alice was prolific. I'm looking at two full-time weeks of work. But when I'm done, I can trash the papers I filed two years ago.

Any of you in a similar season of shedding old skin? Is God calling you to new things?

As winter draws to a close, it's time to quit hibernating, to stretch out muscles cramped by the past so we can move into the future. How can you begin to stir and awaken for the work ahead?

Read more:
*Rise up, come to our help. Redeem us for the sake of your steadfast love. Psalm 44:26 NLT

*Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near. Isaiah 55:6 NLT

*I said, “Here I am, here I am,” to a nation that did not call on my name. Isaiah 65:1 NLT

*Now when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said, “Truly this man was God’s Son!” Mark 15:39 NLT

*Christ says, “For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.” Luke 17:21 NLT

*[Jesus said:] There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. John 14:2–3 NLT

Moravian Prayer: Most Holy One, thank you for Jesus, your son, who showed us how to live, how to love, and how to be one with you. Thank you for your unconditional, everlasting love.

May our hearts be open today so we might recognize you in our midst. May we see you and affirm your presence with assurance and strength. Amen.Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment