Monday, March 11, 2013

Lent Day 23: Only one of you and only one of me

Think you're all alone? Too insignificant to make a difference? Ever ask yourself, "What can one person do, anyway?"

Rethink that assumption as you listen to this (click here). This one person with persistence and his gifting creates a sound experience not to be missed!

Some of  biggest eye-openers and influences come through people interacting in ones and twos. This past week, I interacted with:
  1. Family: Mom and Dad came for a visit. I talked to Mom on the phone. Our kids came for lunch. Our granddaughter spent a day with us.
  2. Friends: I just got back from tea with a dear looooong-term girlfriend who provided insights and advice. Within the past few days, I've talked to my WPPRs accountability group (four women, meeting for over 20 years). A friend and I watched her toddler and my grandchild play in the park.
  3. Mentors: Several peer mentors directed my self-examination, helped me edit, suggested work possibilities, and opened the door for a board position.
  4. Church: Two pastors in particular spoke into my life. (Sudden AHA, anyone?)
  5. Acquaintances: The gal I walk with after exercise class taught me about Alabama and life as a live-in partner (vs. marriage).
  6. People I've never met: Online and in books, the creativity in pictures and words inspires me. I love reading blogs and thinking about the sub-text (the unspoken agendas behind and under the photography, painting, and writing). Sometimes my readers respond with stimulating questions or life experiences, encouraging me to step forward in my own thinking. I LOVE hearing from you!
Who needs you? How will the world be changed because you woke up today and gave the day everything you had - your gifts, talents, education, friendship, skills, history, and more?

Whom do you need? Could you write out a list like mine above? To whom would you send a thank you note or email? Who has touched your life recently?

Read more:
*In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. He heard my voice. Psalm 18:6

*I pray to you, Lord, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation. Psalm 69:13 (NIV)

*Paul said, “To this day I have had help from God, and so I stand here, testifying to both small and great.” Acts 26:22

*Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving. Colossians 4:2 NLT

Moravian Prayer: God, teach us to pray: to know the comfort and power that comes from open hearts. Move us to pray often this day: prayers of gratitude, petition, or praise. Meld our words with our actions, gentle God, so our very lives become a prayerful response to you.

We often call upon you, Lord, expecting easy solutions when what we need to recognize is your presence and strength. Thank you for trusting us to live one day at a time and for assuring us that we are never alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment