Friday, June 27, 2014

Final Friday

"Why are you counting down the last week at home?"

Here's why: sometimes the last days before a major transition get lost. They can be vibrant, filled with good moments and goodbyes, and memories can be life-giving during the turbulence of settling into the new place. It may be interesting for you to read this, and we appreciate your prayers during the move. But it will also be good for me to look at your faces and remember (with a smile) these lovely visits and many appointments.

I won't miss this WA gloom.
It's our final half-day with our grandkids before we move. Miss K slept over, crawling into our bed last night about 4:00am. This morning, W gets the oil changed so the kids can take our SUV; he doesn't have time to still for a haircut. Our kids leave for MT this afternoon while I'm at the eye doctor. So we exchanged hugs throughout the day before our final farewell.

"This is the hardest part," said one of my friends yesterday, "saying goodbye to the kids and grandkids."

My heart takes a while to catch up with my head, so I'll cry about this in a week or two. I haven't even wrapped my head around not seeing the faces so dear to us.

This morning, while her toenail polish was drying, Miss K talked about her prince: "My pwints will kiss me on da lips some day."

This Oma made up a lot of possibilities that could follow: "Then Miss K is going to say, 'Wait, do you like my nail polish?' Or, 'Let me brush my teeth first.' Or 'Marry you? Let me talk to my dad about that.'" She didn't know what to think about her options after the kiss. Haha. (This is the kind of memory I want to tuck away.)

Later in the day, we drive 2 hours to the funeral of Marvin Rody. Our Indonesia kids spent every American holiday with the extended Rody family. (The Rodys were big on American celebration and festivities: everything was a party. We Canadians pretty much preferred a day just hanging out, reading, or puttering, so it was a joy to see Kristi and Dae find this clan.) W and I met the family 30 years ago, a friendly welcoming group at the same church. Doris always had a wide smile and friendly remarks. One of the Rody children moved their family to Indonesia last year, so parents Marvin and Doris visited them.

The drive home: just the two of us
Everyone was shocked when Marvin died suddenly a few weeks ago. We're glad that his going to heaven was a moment rather than a long process. But Marvin will be missed by many, especially his family. We go to celebrate a life well-lived and to tell those left behind: "He will certainly be missed. And you will be in our thoughts and prayers."

The kids, grandkids, friends, and pastors, give moving tributes to a man who would have called himself ordinary, but lived so faithfully that his influence was extraordinary.

W and I drop by the reception hall before we have to head back. He's meeting some guys for a late supper and sleeping over on the boat.

No one like a dear friend! Thanks
for all the years, Willy.
I hop in the other car and head for the neighboring city for a final WPPRs coffee with Wilhelmina. Some sweet young gals in the next booth take our picture. I can't believe we have another chance to sit together - what a bonus. Wilhelmina prays over me before we part. The restaurant is closing when we say goodbye.

Life is full. Not a day is shortened. Not one takes God by surprise. Thanks be to God for his lovingkindness never fails.

Read more:
*God will help you, the Almighty will bless you. Genesis 49:25 ESV

*but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31 ESV

*For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Matthew 16:25 ESV*

*Jesus said to the man who had been possessed, “Go home to your friends, and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy he has shown you.” Mark 5:19 ESV

*But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 ESV

Moravian Prayer: Lord, we give thanks for the many blessings you have bestowed upon us this past week. May we give what you have freely given to us back to others. Our promise to serve you will always be the most important duty we do. In your name we pray. Amen.

1 comment: