Monday, March 30, 2020

Shuttered but hopeful

What a joyful hope we have! When I visit friends online from around the world - North America, Europe, New Zealand, Australia, we share good news with each other.

Some gals are having babies; some are trying new things online, while yet others are just glad that God has everything under control. It's a strange contrast to the hope that many of us have. When the world changes, we know God is neither surprised nor are circumstances beyond his control.
I download a sheet of orchid samples. There's a fine painting class online - free. I have so many art options I can hardly choose one. I scribble here and there.

One is my favorite, a quote from Don Ross, a friend and mentor: "Fear is just a way of identifying the areas of our lives that Jesus doesn't control yet." What a great meter for understanding that emotion.
I asked friends to take part in a 9-day art challenge. Some messaged me and sent pics of their creativity in food, music, art, words. One writes that she is expecting a baby. That's the most creative thing of all.

Saturday, March 28, 2020
It's my birthday, starting with greetings on Friday. I check messages a few times during the day. A driver knocks on the gate: Clau and her family have sent over breakfast - delicious real Brazilian cheese balls and more! And cute notes as well.

We also talk to the grandkids, which is great fun. They send a video of all four singing Happy Birthday. Their enthusiasm is hilarious - they're not bad singers, either.
It's only the second time in my life that I haven't had my parents and kids nearby on my birthday. I miss them but talk to most of them.

It's nice that Kirsten is with us. I think a few times about taking a picture, but keep forgetting. (W the photography buff snaps landscapes when he's out and about, not people.) She and W spoil me with attention and gifts. I set up the cylinder from my office - it's so nice to have a quiet companion on my home office desk.
For supper, W tries out his new pizza oven for the second time. The first time, the pizza was raw inside and burned on the edges. This tastes much better. W is a quick learner! And I don't have to cook. That's the best part.

Sunday
It's odd, preparing a talk and not being around others to present it. W and I head to the office, from where he livestreams the video he's prepared. Several of our team participated - they sent in their messages and W put them together.

This morning, we join team members across the city to monitor the live feed. After noon, we walk back home.
I make lunch but W heads out and buys restaurant food. We'll eat it tomorrow. He wants to take advantage of the places that are still open for takeaway. Most are shuttered, as is our office.

Monday
The study that usually takes place on our porch is online. I have an earlier meeting. Then it's time to finish editing my chapter on outstanding women in religion. The final draft is due to the editor tomorrow She'll do the final edits before publication.
Several friends ask for our bread recipe. Outside, there's a reprieve of sunshine in the mornings and a deluge in the afternoon. The plants love it.
And the dogs always love the walks.
Friends of Indonesian friends have begun to die of the virus. Others die from other conditions (heart attacks, diabetes, strokes) but it all seems related to the viral fears going around the world. We pray that they know that God is with them. That God is for them.

Read more:
*I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope. Psalm 130:5
*When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who watch over my way. Psalm 142:3
*When people fall, do they not get up again? If they go astray, do they not turn back? Jeremiah 8:4
*Jesus said, “Anyone who comes to me I will never drive away.” John 6:37
*Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all consolation, who consoles us in all our affliction. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Moravian Prayer: Gracious Savior, in the times when we go astray, fall short, or lack faith, you are there. In the times when we are heart-broken, grieving, or discouraged, you are there. Thank you for always welcoming us with open arms.
Gracious and almighty God, as we weather the storms of life, may we look to you as our shelter and source of strength. Bless and comfort all who may be experiencing difficult times. We pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment