Thursday, June 16, 2011

Over and over

I read an old diary earlier this week. On top of that, I watched our wedding video for the first time in nearly 34 years. 

Wow, we were mere youngsters, married at 20 and 21. What made us think we could start a family and lifetime friendship? I suppose it was expected of us and what we expected, the traditional thing to do in our conservative church. I never even considered other options. We jumped in with both feet!

I looked at our young faces, at the two kids standing at the altar with high hopes and ritual prayers, and pitied them for the trials and challenges that lay ahead. We fought sometimes over silly things and muddled our way through finances, job changes, and building a house. Our kids have been sick, and there have been times we were in a selfish snit and didn't even like each other. Yet God has been faithful! 

We're attending a wedding this weekend. We'll hear the familiar ceremony that has been performed over and over in the last hundred years or so. The bride, having exerted all her creativity and excitement (and having used up a lot of her parents' money), is Princess of the Day. One day. Then she'll wake up the next morning, as will her groom, to someone in the room. This stranger comes home day after day, wants to eat together, and sleep with him or her. For very private individuals, that can be traumatic. They will get to know each other, for better and for worse. God have mercy! (And may they have fun in the process.)

I wouldn't trade my own Prince Charming for anyone else I've met. We've laughed over the years with long-wed friends. We all say the same thing: "When we leave parties and get-togethers, we are SO relieved that we are going home with this special person who belongs with us." Though our relationships continue to evolve, we thank God for his kindness and patience. 

Can't wait to say, "Congratulations, you two!"

Read more:
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24   NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment