Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lent 18: Writing madness

I’m in the library, taking a break from beating my head against the books. I’m writing on the contributions of Missionaries in Residence. Missionaries come back from their posts to serve in Christian higher education, bringing a broad worldview, cross-cultural skills, and strong academics to the institution. They see their role as teaching, mentoring, and sharing their experiences with the next generation.

The most fun they’ve had? Hanging out with students. The most-named regret? Not hanging out with students enough. So it’s not just the students who remember relationships as the primary learning experience. Cross-cultural faculty members may forget what they’ve taught but they remember faces and people, times in coffee shops, and hours spent laughing and chatting in homes. Years later, when a former student greets them in some remote corner of the world, they have a strong bond of friendship and a solid network to build on.

As I contemplate the writing madness that is a PhD program, it’s fun to see how people learn and what they value. From the cubicle where I am wedged with my books and my laptop, I pause to smile at what I’m learning about others. Even when I don’t have much time to “just hang out” with anyone myself.
-

God's peace to you today!

*The LORD is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made. The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them. The LORD watches over all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy. My mouth will speak in praise of the LORD. Let every creature praise his holy name for ever and ever. Psalm 145:17-21 NIV

*[Jesus] "'And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." Mark 12: 30-31 NLT

*Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the Word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment