Friday, March 27, 2009

Lent 26: True value

We walk into ShopKo in Eugene, OR, to get a card and nail-clipper. When we come out with only a card, I realize how much our lives have changed. They didn’t have the clipper W wanted. Our house is full even though I’ve given a good chunk of “stuff” away these past few months. Our children are grown and aren’t waiting to see what treats we’re bringing home. And after a restaurant lunch, we are too full to think of chocolates or treats.

I walked the inside perimeter of the store, stretching my legs and occasionally looking around for anything we needed. Young mom pushed baby buggies and browsed the sale racks. Elderly people waited for prescriptions to get filled. And busy clerks were restocking and tidying shelves. But there was nothing we wanted. We need no more things to fill our lives.

God has brought us such abundance over the past years. We have been blessed inside and out. Our bodies are healthy, our minds sound, our spirits filled with gratitude for his provisions.

This morning, the conference presenters got to the heart of the gospel: God is with us and our mandate is to share Good News. I was thankful. God satisfies his requirements and our search for love and meaning through his Son. If you don’t know the Story, please read it for yourself. Start with the narratives of Luke or John in the Bible (2nd half, or use the table of contents.)
--
God's peace be with you.

*Show me the right path, O LORD; point out the road for me to follow. lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you. Psalm 25:4–5 NLT

*The earnings of the godly enhance their lives, but evil people squander their money on sin. Proverbs 10:16 NLT

*Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:7-10 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment