Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lent 29: Almost on the move

The rain blows in once I’m back in my office. Time for my morning break, and a quick reflection. Someone sent a note saying there will be boxes, labels, and “Get packed up right away because we’re moving Monday!” I got in early and cycled up to the Seahawks building to check out the new space so I can figure out which furniture will fit. But the rooms are still in flux, so I’m no wiser except for knowing the dimensions of the room options. There are no boxes in sight, but I get another e-note: “Empty the fridge before 5pm tonight when Maintenance moves it.” Since we cycled in, I have no car to move the alumni serving trays and tea supplies dumped onto my table.

Even though it’s a lot of work to pack up, I like the idea of moving. It’s a different season. My new office will be darker – it probably faces north with at least four less feet of windows. I’ll miss the view I have now, a busy intersection where fire trucks and busses and cars zoom by. I’ll miss the lake with its surrounding mountains as it changes colors with the weather. But there will be a new vista and a new workspace to set up. I just hope I can take along my light-colored desk and files.

The admins chatter in the halls while they pack up kitchens and conference rooms. Their voices remind me of the continual migration of peoples. People are constantly improving, moving, and settling in. I’m happiest when my inner life reflects God at work, improving, moving, and settling yet more deeply into my core.

--
God’s peace be with you.


*The LORD is good and does what is right; he shows the proper path to those who go astray. He leads the humble in doing right, teaching them his way. The LORD leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep his covenant and obey his demands. Psalm 25:8–10 NLT

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23 NLT

*For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:14-21 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment