Saturday, March 28, 2009

Lent 27: What a day

The last time I was this happy was after the last time I preached. Apparently I love standing in front of people and talking. Especially when I’ve done my research. Usually, I pass off speaking opportunities to others, but once in a while I take the chance to be myself.

Today, on my birthday, God’s present was that I got to present a paper at an academic conference. I wasn’t sure I was up to it, but I submitted the requested proposal, did the research, and my family promised to pray. Several colleagues showed up to cheer me on. I stumbled over some words because there were so many of them. But after the paper was read, the dreaded part—fielding questions afterwards—went by quickly. The chair closed the session with thoughtful questions.

My daughter, who dreads public speaking, laughed when I told her how much fun I’d had. God must have a great sense of humor, to make us all so different. His pleasure and ours comes when we are obedient, when we walk step by step in the path he has for us.
--
God's peace be with you.
*But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when the heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit. Jeremiah 17:7, 8 NIV

*Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2 NLT

*But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. 2 Corinthians 4: 7-10 NLT

1 comment:

  1. You did really well; we are all proud of you. Way to go! When do you want to preach again?

    ReplyDelete